Re: [GENERAL] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] One-click installer, Windows 7 32-bit, and icacls.exe
Date: 2011-10-04 19:46:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 2:15 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 9:42 AM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote on 03.10.2011 10:11:
>>>
>>> Karl; can you please provide precise details of your Windows version,
>>> and anything unusual about your disk configuration? I know this
>>> doesn't happen on any of the installations of Windows 7 that we use
>>> for testing (which tend to be the MSDN builds, running on local NTFS
>>> disks), so I wonder if there's an icacls bug in a specific build or
>>> rev of Windows, or when used on a certain type of filesystem.
>>>

>> I have reported this as well some weeks ago.
>> For me this happened on a Windows7 64 bit system that is part of a domain
>> (all current MS patches applied)
>> UAC is turned off, I was logged in as a local administrator (*not* a domain
>> administrator).
>>
>> I have a ProcessMonitor trace that shows the behaviour of what icacls is
>> doing when started by the installer.
>> It is available here: http://www.sql-workbench.net/icacls_trace.zip
>
> Thanks Thomas. That certainly doesn't look like it's doing what it was
> told to :-s

We've been looking at this today, and whilst we haven't found icacls
changing any ACLs that it shouldn't, we have no seen it reading the
ACLs of files on the entire disk. I've also found a couple of similar
reports on the net.

We updated our build system to use BitRock 7 today (for unrelated
reasons) which has new features for ACL management. We're going to
investigate replacing cacls/icacls with those features tomorrow and
will create some test builds ASAP.

Oh, the joys of supporting Windows :-)

--
Dave Page