Re: Handling connection loss

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Jasmin Dizdarevic <jasmin(dot)dizdarevic(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Handling connection loss
Date: 2011-07-19 20:12:04
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> I tried something else today. Suppose a database with two schemas. Both
> have objects in them, let's say two tables in each schema. Connect to
> the database, click on the + of the first schema. You'll see all objects
> in it. Now, restart PostgreSQL. And click on the + of the second schema.
> It'll tell you you're disconnected and will ask you if you want to
> reconnect. You say yes, it reconnects and you'll see all the objects
> types with nothing ("Tables (0)" for example instead of "Tables (2)").
> If you refresh the schema, you'll have the right info (ie, "Tables
> (2)").

Yeah, I think we're going to run into issues like this. It comes about
because the database classes have no way of telling the browser to do
things like refresh again. The question is, is this approach better
than struggling on with what we have now, and if so, what else needs
to be done to make the reconnection invisible to the rest of the app
(it's supposed to be - what did I miss)?

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company