Re: Logical Replication Custom Column Expression

From: Stavros Koureas <koureasstavros(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Logical Replication Custom Column Expression
Date: 2022-11-30 08:39:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Στις Τρί 29 Νοε 2022 στις 3:27 μ.μ., ο/η Ashutosh Bapat <
ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com> έγραψε:
> That would be too restrictive - not necessarily in your application
> but generally. There could be some tables where consolidating rows
> with same PK from different publishers into a single row in subscriber
> would be desirable. I think we need to enable the property for every
> subscriber that intends to add publisher column to the desired and
> subscribed tables. But there should be another option per table which
> will indicate that receiver should add publisher when INSERTING row to
> that table.

So we are discussing the scope level of this property, if this property
will be implemented on subscriber level or on subscriber table.
In that case I am not sure how this will be implemented as currently
postgres subscribers can have multiple tables streamed from a single
publisher.
In that case we may have an additional syntax on subscriber, for example:

CREATE SUBSCRIPTION sub1 CONNECTION 'host=localhost port=5432 user=postgres
password=XXXXXX dbname=publisher1' PUBLICATION pub1 with (enabled = false,
create_slot = false, slot_name = NONE, tables = {tableA:union, tableB:none,
....});

Something like this?

> And yes, probably you need to change the way you reply to email on
> this list. Top-posting is generally avoided. See
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists.

Thanks for bringing this into the discussion :)