PostgreSQL-XL shared disk development question

From: M(dot)Atıf CEYLAN <mehmet(at)atifceylan(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL-XL shared disk development question
Date: 2019-01-16 14:11:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello,

I already sent the following message to postgres-xl-developers list but
they don't seem so active. Therefore, I hope you accept this kind of
messages to this mail list.

I'm planning to run PostgreSQL-XL data nodes on CephFS as shared folder. My
goal is to provide scalability (auto/manual) in terms of CPU and RAM for
those who have large amount of data and operate on clouds. When data gets
bigger it's hard to make copy of every node instantly we increase number of
nodes. That's why I want CEPH to do disk management, distribution of data
(disk) and replication of data (disk). I thought of adding SHARED mode
alongside with REPLICADTED and DISTRIBUTED modes since PostgreSQL-XL does
global transaction and session management.

What do you think of this?

What do you think I should be careful about this development if you think
it's possible?

Bests.

--
Atıf Ceylan