Re: pgsql: Split ExecUpdate and ExecDelete into reusable pieces

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Split ExecUpdate and ExecDelete into reusable pieces
Date: 2022-03-19 04:09:02
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022 at 12:59 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 17, 2022 at 7:47 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> wrote:
> >
> > Split ExecUpdate and ExecDelete into reusable pieces
> >
> > Create subroutines ExecUpdatePrologue / ExecUpdateAct /
> > ExecUpdateEpilogue, and similar for ExecDelete.
> >
> > Introduce a new struct to be used internally in nodeModifyTable.c,
> > dubbed ModifyTableContext, which contains all context information needed
> > to perform these operations, as well as ExecInsert and others.
> >
> > This allows using a different schedule and a different way of evaluating
> > the results of these operations, which can be exploited by a later
> > commit introducing support for MERGE. It also makes ExecUpdate and
> > ExecDelete proper shorter and (hopefully) simpler.
>
> I noticed that we failed to update a comment mentioning a now obsolete
> parameter of ExecCrossPartitionUpdate(). Attached a patch to fix that
> and an old typo in the same sentence.

Actually, I also noticed that the v16 patch you posted in the "Re: a
misbehavior of partition row movement (?)" thread contained this same
fix. I like the wording in that patch, though I guess it's better to
commit the fix separately from the big patch there, which I guess may
have been your intention anyway. So, here's a v2.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
fix-obsolete-comment_v2.patch application/octet-stream 874 bytes