Re: path toward faster partition pruning

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: path toward faster partition pruning
Date: 2017-09-15 23:07:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 16, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 4:50 AM, Amit Langote
> <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
>> Rebased patches attached. Because Dilip complained earlier today about
>> clauses of the form (const op var) not causing partition-pruning, I've
>> added code to commute the clause where it is required. Some other
>> previously mentioned limitations remain -- no handling of OR clauses, no
>> elimination of redundant clauses for given partitioning column, etc.
>>
>> A note about 0001: this patch overlaps with
>> 0003-Canonical-partition-scheme.patch from the partitionwise-join patch
>> series that Ashutosh Bapat posted yesterday [1].
>
> It doesn't merely overlap; it's obviously a derivative work,

Yes it is. I noted that upthread [1] that most of these are derived
from Ashutosh's patch on his suggestion. I guess I should have
repeated that in this message too, sorry.

> and the
> commit message in your version should credit all the authors.

That was a mistake on my part, too. Will be careful hereon.

Thanks,
Amit

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/0e829199-a43c-2a66-b966-89a0020a6cd4%40lab.ntt.co.jp