Re: Skip partition tuple routing with constant partition key

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Skip partition tuple routing with constant partition key
Date: 2021-05-19 13:25:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 11:11 AM houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com
<houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com> wrote:
> > > Hmm, does this seem common enough for the added complexity to be
> > worthwhile?
> >
> > I'd also like to know if there's some genuine use case for this. For testing
> > purposes does not seem to be quite a good enough reason.
>
> Thanks for the response.
>
> For some big data scenario, we sometimes transfer data from one table(only store not expired data)
> to another table(historical data) for future analysis.
> In this case, we import data into historical table regularly(could be one day or half a day),
> And the data is likely to be imported with date label specified, then all of the data to be
> imported this time belong to the same partition which partition by time range.

Is directing that data directly into the appropriate partition not an
acceptable solution to address this particular use case? Yeah, I know
we should avoid encouraging users to perform DML directly on
partitions, but...

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com