Re: v12 "won't fix" item regarding memory leak in "ATTACH PARTITION without AEL"; (or, relcache ref counting)

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: v12 "won't fix" item regarding memory leak in "ATTACH PARTITION without AEL"; (or, relcache ref counting)
Date: 2020-02-24 13:10:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 24, 2020 at 7:01 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
> This links to a long thread, from which I've tried to quote some of the
> most important mails, below.
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_12_Open_Items#Won.27t_Fix
>
> I wondered if there's an effort to pursue a resolution for v13 ?

I think commit 5b9312378 in master branch fixes this. Commit message
mentions it like this:

Also, fix things so that old copies of a relcache partition descriptor
will be dropped when the cache entry's refcount goes to zero. In the
previous coding it was possible for such copies to survive for the
lifetime of the session, as I'd complained of in a previous discussion.
(This management technique still isn't perfect, but it's better than
before.)
...Although this is a pre-existing
problem, no back-patch: the patch seems too invasive to be safe to
back-patch, and the bug it fixes is a corner case that seems
relatively unlikely to cause problems in the field.

https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqFUzjfj9HEsJtYWcr1SgQ_=iCAvQ=O2Sx6aQxoDu4OiHw@mail.gmail.com
https://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoY3bRmGB6-DUnoVy5fJoreiBJ43rwMrQRCdPXuKt4Ykaw@mail.gmail.com

Thanks,
Amit