Re: pg_stat_progress_basebackup - progress reporting for pg_basebackup, in the server side

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stat_progress_basebackup - progress reporting for pg_basebackup, in the server side
Date: 2020-02-05 08:54:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 5:32 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> At Wed, 5 Feb 2020 16:29:54 +0900, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote in
> > >
> > > Thanks for reviewing the patch!

> > > Can we shorten this to "waiting for checkpoint"? IMO the simpler
> > > phase name is better and "to finish" sounds a bit redundant. Also
> > > in the description of pg_stat_progress_create_index, basically
> > > "waiting for xxx" is used.
> >
> > "waiting for checkpoint" works for me.
>
> I'm not sure, but doesn't that mean "waiting for a checkpoint to
> start"? Sorry in advance if that is not the case.

No, I really meant "to finish". As Sawada-san said upthread, we
should really use text that describes the activity that usually takes
long. While it takes takes only a moment to actually start the
checkpoint, it might take long for it to finish. As Fujii-san says
though we don't need the noise words "to finish".

Thanks,
Amit