Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Date: 2023-02-02 14:49:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 4:01 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 12:52 PM Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Alright, I'll try to get something out early next week. Thanks for
> > all the pointers.
>
> Sorry for the delay. Attached is what I've come up with so far.
>
> I didn't actually go with calling the plancache on every lock taken on
> a relation, that is, in ExecGetRangeTableRelation(). One thing about
> doing it that way that I didn't quite like (or didn't see a clean
> enough way to code) is the need to complicate the ExecInitNode()
> traversal for handling the abrupt suspension of the ongoing setup of
> the PlanState tree.

OK, I gave this one more try and attached is what I came up with.

This adds a ExecPlanStillValid(), which is called right after anything
that may in turn call ExecGetRangeTableRelation() which has been
taught to lock a relation if EXEC_FLAG_GET_LOCKS has been passed in
EState.es_top_eflags. That includes all ExecInitNode() calls, and a
few other functions that call ExecGetRangeTableRelation() directly,
such as ExecOpenScanRelation(). If ExecPlanStillValid() returns
false, that is, if EState.es_cachedplan is found to have been
invalidated after a lock being taken by ExecGetRangeTableRelation(),
whatever funcion called it must return immediately and so must its
caller and so on. ExecEndPlan() seems to be able to clean up after a
partially finished attempt of initializing a PlanState tree in this
way. Maybe my preliminary testing didn't catch cases where pointers
to resources that are normally put into the nodes of a PlanState tree
are now left dangling, because a partially built PlanState tree is not
accessible to ExecEndPlan; QueryDesc.planstate would remain NULL in
such cases. Maybe there's only es_tupleTable and es_relations that
needs to be explicitly released and the rest is taken care of by
resetting the ExecutorState context.

On testing, I'm afraid we're going to need something like
src/test/modules/delay_execution to test that concurrent changes to
relation(s) in PlannedStmt.relationOids that occur somewhere between
RevalidateCachedQuery() and InitPlan() result in the latter to be
aborted and that it is handled correctly. It seems like it is only
the locking of partitions (that are not present in an unplanned Query
and thus not protected by AcquirePlannerLocks()) that can trigger
replanning of a CachedPlan, so any tests we write should involve
partitions. Should this try to test as many plan shapes as possible
though given the uncertainty around ExecEndPlan() robustness or should
manual auditing suffice to be sure that nothing's broken?

On possibly needing to move permission checking to occur *after*
taking locks, I realized that we don't really need to, because no
relation that needs its permissions should be unlocked by the time we
get to ExecCheckPermissions(); note we only check permissions of
tables that are present in the original parse tree and
RevalidateCachedQuery() should have locked those. I found a couple of
exceptions to that invariant in that views sometimes appear not to be
in the set of relations that RevalidateCachedQuery() locks. So, I
invented PlannedStmt.viewRelations, a list of RT indexes of view RTEs
that is populated in setrefs.c. ExecLockViewRelations() called before
ExecCheckPermissions() locks those.

--
Thanks, Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v32-0001-Move-AcquireExecutorLocks-s-responsibility-into-.patch application/octet-stream 87.9 KB