Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: generic plans and "initial" pruning
Date: 2023-01-20 03:52:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 12:31 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > On Fri, Jan 20, 2023 at 4:39 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> >> I had what felt like an epiphany: the whole problem arises because the
> >> system is wrongly factored. We should get rid of AcquireExecutorLocks
> >> altogether, allowing the plancache to hand back a generic plan that
> >> it's not certain of the validity of, and instead integrate the
> >> responsibility for acquiring locks into executor startup.
>
> > Interesting. The current implementation relies on
> > PlanCacheRelCallback() marking a generic CachedPlan as invalid, so
> > perhaps there will have to be some sharing of state between the
> > plancache and the executor for this to work?
>
> Yeah. Thinking a little harder, I think this would have to involve
> passing a CachedPlan pointer to the executor, and what the executor
> would do after acquiring each lock is to ask the plancache "hey, do
> you still think this CachedPlan entry is valid?". In the case where
> there's a problem, the AcceptInvalidationMessages call involved in
> lock acquisition would lead to a cache inval that clears the validity
> flag on the CachedPlan entry, and this would provide an inexpensive
> way to check if that happened.

OK, thanks, this is useful.

> It might be possible to incorporate this pointer into PlannedStmt
> instead of passing it separately.

Yeah, that would be less churn. Though, I wonder if you still hold
that PlannedStmt should not be scribbled upon outside the planner as
you said upthread [1]?

> >> * In a successfully built execution state tree, there will simply
> >> not be any nodes corresponding to pruned-away, never-locked subplans.
>
> > I think this is true with the patch as proposed too, but I was still a
> > bit worried about what an ExecutorStart_hook may be doing with an
> > uninitialized plan tree. Maybe we're mandating that the hook must
> > call standard_ExecutorStart() and only work with the finished
> > PlanState tree?
>
> It would certainly be incumbent on any such hook to not touch
> not-yet-locked parts of the plan tree. I'm not particularly concerned
> about that sort of requirements change, because we'd be breaking APIs
> all through this area in any case.

OK. Perhaps something that should be documented around ExecutorStart().

> >> * In some cases (views, at least) we need to acquire lock on relations
> >> that aren't directly reflected anywhere in the plan tree. So there'd
> >> have to be a separate mechanism for getting those locks and rechecking
> >> validity afterward. A list of relevant relation OIDs might be enough
> >> for that.
>
> > Hmm, a list of only the OIDs wouldn't preserve the lock mode,
>
> Good point. I wonder if we could integrate this with the
> RTEPermissionInfo data structure?

You mean adding a rellockmode field to RTEPermissionInfo?

> > Would you like me to hack up a PoC or are you already on that?
>
> I'm not planning to work on this myself, I was hoping you would.

Alright, I'll try to get something out early next week. Thanks for
all the pointers.

--
Thanks, Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com