Re: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Andrey V(dot) Lepikhov" <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)fujitsu(dot)com>
Subject: Re: POC: postgres_fdw insert batching
Date: 2021-01-14 13:57:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 21:57 Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 1/14/21 9:58 AM, Amit Langote wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 2:41 AM Tomas Vondra
> > <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> >> FWIW the attached v8 patch does this - most of the conditions are moved
> >> to the GetModifyBatchSize() callback.
> >
> > Thanks. A few comments:
> >
> > * I agree with leaving it up to an FDW to look at the properties of
> > the table and of the operation being performed to decide whether or
> > not to use batching, although maybe BeginForeignModify() is a better
> > place for putting that logic instead of GetModifyBatchSize()? So, in
> > create_foreign_modify(), instead of PgFdwModifyState.batch_size simply
> > being set to match the table's or the server's value for the
> > batch_size option, make it also consider the things that prevent
> > batching and set the execution state's batch_size based on that.
> > GetModifyBatchSize() simply returns that value.
> >
> > * Regarding the timing of calling GetModifyBatchSize() to set
> > ri_BatchSize, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to call it just once,
> > say from ExecInitModifyTable(), right after BeginForeignModify()
> > returns? I don't quite understand why it is being called from
> > ExecInsert(). Can the batch size change once the execution starts?
> >

> But it should be called just once. The idea is that initially we have
> batch_size=0, and the fist call returns value that is >= 1. So we never
> call it again. But maybe it could be called from BeginForeignModify, in
> which case we'd not need this logic with first setting it to 0 etc.

Right, although I was thinking that maybe ri_BatchSize itself is not to be
written to by the FDW. Not to say that’s doing anything wrong though.

> * Lastly, how about calling it GetForeignModifyBatchSize() to be
> > consistent with other nearby callbacks?
> >

> Yeah, good point.
>
> >> I've removed the check for the
> >> BatchInsert callback, though - the FDW knows whether it supports that,
> >> and it seems a bit pointless at the moment as there are no other batch
> >> callbacks. Maybe we should add an Assert somewhere, though?
> >
> > Hmm, not checking whether BatchInsert() exists may not be good idea,
> > because if an FDW's GetModifyBatchSize() returns a value > 1 but
> > there's no BatchInsert() function to call, ExecBatchInsert() would
> > trip. I don't see the newly added documentation telling FDW authors
> > to either define both or none.
> >

> Hmm. The BatchInsert check seemed somewhat unnecessary to me, but OTOH
> it can't hurt, I guess. I'll ad it back.
>
> > Regarding how this plays with partitions, I don't think we need
> > ExecGetTouchedPartitions(), because you can get the routed-to
> > partitions using es_tuple_routing_result_relations. Also, perhaps
>
> I'm not very familiar with es_tuple_routing_result_relations, but that
> doesn't seem to work. I've replaced the flushing code at the end of
> ExecModifyTable with a loop over es_tuple_routing_result_relations, but
> then some of the rows are missing (i.e. not flushed).

I should’ve mentioned es_opened_result_relations too which contain
non-routing result relations. So I really meant if (proute) then use
es_tuple_routing_result_relations, else es_opened_result_relations. This
should work as long as batching is only used for inserts.

> it's a good idea to put the "finishing" ExecBatchInsert() calls into a
> > function ExecFinishBatchInsert(). Maybe the logic to choose the
> > relations to perform the finishing calls on will get complicated in
> > the future as batching is added for updates/deletes too and it seems
> > better to encapsulate that in the separate function than have it out
> > in the open in ExecModifyTable().
> >

> IMO that'd be an over-engineering at this point. We don't need such
> separate function yet, so why complicate the API? If we need it in the
> future, we can add it.

Fair enough.
--
Amit Langote