a thinko in b676ac443b6

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: a thinko in b676ac443b6
Date: 2021-07-27 02:28:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I noticed $subject while rebasing my patch at [1] to enable batching
for the inserts used in cross-partition UPDATEs.

b676ac443b6 did this:

- resultRelInfo->ri_PlanSlots[resultRelInfo->ri_NumSlots] =
- MakeSingleTupleTableSlot(planSlot->tts_tupleDescriptor,
- planSlot->tts_ops);
+ {
+ TupleDesc tdesc =
CreateTupleDescCopy(slot->tts_tupleDescriptor);
+
+ resultRelInfo->ri_Slots[resultRelInfo->ri_NumSlots] =
+ MakeSingleTupleTableSlot(tdesc, slot->tts_ops);
+ resultRelInfo->ri_PlanSlots[resultRelInfo->ri_NumSlots] =
+ MakeSingleTupleTableSlot(tdesc, planSlot->tts_ops);

I think it can be incorrect to use the same TupleDesc for both the
slots in ri_Slots (for ready-to-be-inserted tuples) and ri_PlanSlots
(for subplan output tuples). Especially if you consider what we did
in 86dc90056df that was committed into v14. In that commit, we
changed the way a subplan under ModifyTable produces its output for an
UPDATE statement. Previously, it would produce a tuple matching the
target table's TupleDesc exactly (plus any junk columns), but now it
produces only a partial tuple containing the values for the changed
columns.

So it's better to revert to using planSlot->tts_tupleDescriptor for
the slots in ri_PlanSlots. Attached a patch to do so.

--
Amit Langote
EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
b676ac443b6-thinko-fix.patch application/octet-stream 1.2 KB