Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-07 14:30:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 11:12 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 09:49:49AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> writes:
> > > OK, I have moved her name to be first. FYI, this commit was backpatched
> > > back through PG 11, though the commit message doesn't mention that.
> >
> > If it was back-patched, it should not be appearing in the v13 release
> > notes at all, surely?
>
> Well, her name was there already for a later commit that was not
> backpatched, so I just moved her name earlier. The fact that her name
> was moved earlier because of something that was backpatched is
> inconsistent, but I don't know enough about the work that went into the
> item to comment on that. I will need someone to tell me, of the commits
> that only appear in PG 13, what should be the name order.

Sorry, I misremembered that the patch to make default partition
pruning more aggressive was not backpatched, because I thought at the
time that the patch had turned somewhat complex, but indeed it was
backpatched; in 11.5 release notes:

Prune a partitioned table's default partition (that is, avoid
uselessly scanning it) in more cases (Yuzuko Hosoya)

Sorry for the noise.

I think it's okay for her name to appear first even considering the
commits that only appear in PG 13, because my role was mainly
reviewing the work and perhaps posting an updated version of her
patch.

--
Amit Langote