Improve default partition

From: Rafia Sabih <rafia(dot)pghackers(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Improve default partition
Date: 2019-08-20 14:37:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello all,

I was just playing around with table partitioning and noticed
1. When one inserts into a parent table with no partitions defined
yet, it errors out
2. Similarly, if we try to insert into a parent table a value which is
not covered in any partition and has no default partition defined, it
errors out

This does not sound very convenient. I was thinking of having some
mechanism for such insertions which automatically creates a default
partition and gives a notice for the user to know that it is going to
the default partition. Basically, always having a default partition.
After all default is something that remains there by default, isn't
it?

I will be happy to know your thoughts on this.

--
Regards,
Rafia Sabih