Re: Obtaining resource usage statistics from execution? (v 9.1)

From: Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Obtaining resource usage statistics from execution? (v 9.1)
Date: 2012-03-16 14:48:25
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net> wrote:
> What I'd
> like to be able to do is have the code track performance all the time and
> raise alerts when it sees "outliers" giving me a continually-improving set
> of targets for reduction of resource consumption (up until I reach the point
> where I don't seem to be able to make it any faster of course :-))

Sounds almost exactly like what the auto_explain contrib module is
designed to do:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/auto-explain.html

It can run with reasonably low overhead if your system has fast
timing. You can check the timing performance of your system with the
tool attached here:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4F15B930.50108%402ndQuadrant.com

Anything under 200ns should be ok.

Cheers,