Append only replication over intermittent links (with local only delete?)

From: Uri Braun <uri(at)braunnet(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Append only replication over intermittent links (with local only delete?)
Date: 2018-06-14 12:04:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm looking to run Postgres -- flexible on exact version -- on some devices
installed in cars and replicated to a central server over cell phone
modems. I expect dropped connections due to: lack of coverage (remote
areas), dead spots, tunnels, cars parked in garages, device power
disconnected, etc. I expect all data to be generated on the car devices and
want it to eventually be copied over to the central server. I would also
like to be able to delete old data -- say months old -- on the car
equipment and NOT have those deletes propagate to the central server.

To be clear, the car device will surely add data -- append rows -- and may
very occasionally add a new table. I would expect the only case where a
delete may occur -- other than culling old data -- is during recovery of a
partial write or transaction rollbacks. The time requirements are loose,
but I would like replication consistency within hours (once connected).

I'm wondering what replication scheme is appropriate for this use case and
how to configure it appropriately.

Thank you!
Uri Braun