Determine if an index is a B-tree, GIST, or something else?

From: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Determine if an index is a B-tree, GIST, or something else?
Date: 2013-01-17 18:03:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Is there any way to determine, by querying pg_index and other pg_* tables,
whether an index was created as `USING something`? I've already got a big
query joining pg_class, pg_index, etc. to pull out various attributes about
the indexes in my database, and I'd like to include whether it's a GIST
index, a B-Tree, or whatever was in the USING clause when the index was
created.

I see that I can join with the pg_opclass table, but that has 100+ rows,
and I'm not sure how to tell what is a B-Tree and what isn't. Any advice?

Thanks,
Paul

--
Pulchritudo splendor veritatis.