Re: Patch: Force Primitives

From: Nicholas White <n(dot)j(dot)white(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Mikko Tiihonen <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Patch: Force Primitives
Date: 2013-03-25 18:24:21
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

> Do you see the binary transfers activating for array receives if you run
your prepared statement select in a loop?
That's the behaviour I see, athough something's setting my
m_prepareThreshold to 5 rather than 3. I'm essentially using postgres as a
persistent cache for my application server; when my app server starts it
loads large amounts of data from postgres using a series of select-*-from-x
queries. In order to minimise network I/O I'd ideally like a way to ensure
I'm using the binary protocol from the very first query. Should I submit
another patch that lets you configure this behaviour (either via a new
JDBCUrl parameter or whether binaryTransfer is explicitly specified)?

Separately, do you know why this behaviour is the default? Is the binary
encoding more expensive (either server-side or client-side) than text
encoding the data?

Thanks -

Nick