Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andy <angelflow(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck
Date: 2011-04-06 20:52:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have generation 1 and 2 Intel MLC drives in production (~150+). Some
have been around for 2 years.

None have died. None have hit the write cycle limit. We do ~ 75GB of
writes a day.

The data and writes on these are not transactional (if one dies, we have
copies). But the reliability has been excellent. We had the performance
degradation issues in the G1's that required a firmware update, and have
had to do a secure-erase a on some to get write performance back to
acceptable levels on a few.

I could care less about the 'fast' sandforce drives. They fail at a high
rate and the performance improvement is BECAUSE they are using a large,
volatile write cache. If I need higher sequential transfer rate, I'll
RAID some of these together. A RAID-10 of 6 of these will make a simple
select count(1) query be CPU bound anyway.

I have some G3 SSD's I'll be doing power-fail testing on soon for database
use (currently, we only use the old ones for indexes in databases or
unimportant clone db's).

I have had more raid cards fail in the last 3 years (out of a couple
dozen) than Intel SSD's fail (out of ~150). I do not trust the Intel 510
series yet -- its based on a non-Intel controller and has worse
random-write performance anyway.