Re: Index on timestamp fields

From: David Gardner <David(dot)Gardner(at)yucaipaco(dot)com>
To: Novice Postgresql-list <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index on timestamp fields
Date: 2007-06-08 14:58:13
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thanks to Tom, and Richard for the advice. I will build an index against the expression.

I thought of a third possible solution. What I forgot to mention was that the query was part of a pl/pgsql function, and that the client only accesses the database through server side functions. So I have the ability to break the start column into start_date and start_time columns as long as I concatenate the two on the return value.

However the advice of creating an index against the expression is more elegant, and less intrusive on the existing database.

---
David Gardner, IT
The Yucaipa Companies
(310) 228-2855