JSONPath Child Operator?

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JSONPath Child Operator?
Date: 2022-11-10 20:55:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings! Long time no see, I know. How are you, Hackers?

I notice from the docs in the Postgres JSONPath type, brackets are described as:

> • Square brackets ([]) are used for array access.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/datatype-json.html#DATATYPE-JSONPATH

Notably they are not used for object field path specifications, in contrast to the original JSON Path design, which says:

> JSONPath expressions can use the dot–notation
>
> $.store.book[0].title
>
> or the bracket–notation
>
> $['store']['book'][0]['title']

https://goessner.net/articles/JsonPath/index.html#e2

Similarly, the current IETF RFC Draft says:

> JSONPath expressions use the _bracket notation_, for example:
>
> $['store']['book'][0]['title']
>
> or the more compact _dot notation_, for example:
>
> $.store.book[0].title

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-jsonpath-base/

My question: Are there plans to support square bracket syntax for JSON object field name strings like this? Or to update to follow the standard as it’s finalized?

Thanks,

David