Grouping Question

From: Ketema Harris <ketema(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Grouping Question
Date: 2009-07-31 16:09:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a table defined as

CREATE TABLE mytable
(
carrier varchar,
start_time timestamp with time zone,
call_date date,
cost numeric,
call_length numeric
)

I want to create a query that will generate a the following columns:

carrier, week, sum(call_length) as totallength, sum(cost) as total_cost
from mytable
group by carrier, (WHAT HERE?)
order by week, carrier

week is defined as a date range so something like 7/6/2009 - 7/13/2009

I would need the timestamps to be grouped into 7 day intervals
starting from the first one and moving through the table. is this
possible in a single query or would I have to write a function ?