What is field separator?

From: Tena Sakai <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: What is field separator?
Date: 2010-05-30 04:19:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Everybody,

I am a bit confused about field separator.
In psql, \pset command lets me change this value from the default
to something else. I thought field separator was “|” below:

marker | allele | afreq | fam_ | p
RS2312724 | 2 | 0.125 | 25 | 0.271484
RS1020382 | 2 | 0.417 | 69 | 0.609682
RS11878315 | 2 | 0.335 | 64 | 0.354771

Can somebody please tell me what “|” is called in my example above?
And is it possible to change it from “|” to something else for
display purpose?

Thank you.

Tena Sakai
tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu