Re: best use of an EMC SAN

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best use of an EMC SAN
Date: 2007-07-11 17:58:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Jul 11, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Chris Browne wrote:
> - Split off a set (6?) for WAL

In my limited testing, 6 drives for WAL would be complete overkill in
almost any case. The only example I've ever seen where WAL was able
to swamp 2 drives was the DBT testing that Mark Wong was doing at
OSDL; the only reason that was the case is because he had somewhere
around 70 data drives. I suppose an entirely in-memory database might
be able to swamp a 2 drive WAL as well.
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net