Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>, damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>, Rafael Martinez <r(dot)m(dot)guerrero(at)usit(dot)uio(dot)no>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems
Date: 2010-01-22 21:09:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Gabriele

You should be aware that he is wedded to Adobe and other mainstream
commercial products and I believe he has a book coming out on Flex.

I think it's worth mentioning that Florian took to our once:radix technology
(which, of course, is built on PostgreSQL) with a big stick too. Oh, he was
polite about it but nevertheless approached it with a completely closed
mind. The fact that organisations such as Bankers Trust use and praise our
software is of no interest to him.

Of course PostgreSQL has a far greater success story to tell but that won¹t
stop him from following his biases. He is building his reputation as a
critic.

Ask any restaurateur about critics. They get no mileage out of being fair
minded. And they build their reputations by pushing their own particular
barrow. The best thing to do is to ignore them. They thrive on controversy.

I found his attitude to be completely intransigent to anything outside of
his world view. You won't shift his attitude so it is not worth giving
credence to his comments.

On 22/1/10 8:29 PM, "Gabriele Bartolini" <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)it>
wrote:

> However, there are not many people who think like the EC about
> PostgreSQL. Unfortunately, in Italy, the major IT online magazine has
> only pointed out that Florian Muller thinks that PostgreSQL can't be a
> valid alternative.

Regards

Rob Napier