Re: New mug design

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>, <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New mug design
Date: 2009-11-17 12:16:08
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I saw the message from Josh where he said that it was hard to unload them.

I didn't say that no one would want them. I'm just saying that I'd like to
see a serious attempt at good design.

Dave, for the past 20 years, the most valuable commodity in the world and
the most expensive to acquire, is people's attention. That's why billions of
dollars, pounds, marks, roubles, kopeks, et al are spent on trying to get
it.

People respond to different stimuli. There are people who WOULD be happy
with the mug. But it is advertising. It needs to reach more than just the
person you give it to. The opportunity is to use it to reach others when it
is sitting on the desk of the said person.

Take the great T shirt from Harvard:

> And God said:
>
> <followed by some of the Maxwell¹s Equations>
>
> And there was light!

Now that is pretty cool. If PostgreSQL had a mug like that, not only would I
want to have one, I¹d want to show it to all my friends and tell them why I,
my mug and PostgreSQL are so cool!

That is what is needed here.

On 17/11/09 10:56 PM, "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 11:52 AM, Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au> wrote:
>
>> I would like to see a nicely shaped mug. The current one is boring, as
>> coffee mugs go. The logo is too big. I understand why you have trouble
>> getting people to take them. It is bloody ugly! It would ONLY appeal to
>> PostgreSQL enthusiasts or people with no design sense.
>
> I guess you missed the messages where we said we have no problems selling
> them?

Regards

Rob Napier