Re: New mug design

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
Cc: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New mug design
Date: 2009-11-17 11:52:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

FWIW

I disagree. If you want a family-friendly mug, go to K-Mart.

People in your target market ARE geeks. But I think that commit; is a bit
obscure. Though I suspect that a lot of women would buy them for their
boyfriends!

I would like to see a nicely shaped mug. The current one is boring, as
coffee mugs go. The logo is too big. I understand why you have trouble
getting people to take them. It is bloody ugly! It would ONLY appeal to
PostgreSQL enthusiasts or people with no design sense.

My apologies to the designer of the original mug, but it fails to excite,
amuse or inspire. IMHO

On 17/11/09 6:08 PM, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> On mån, 2009-11-16 at 23:10 +0100, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:

>>> I think for most of us "BEGIN" would be more appropriate. :-)
>>
>> Both are fine for me - but in addition there should be the PG logo.
>> Else the mug is "valid" for all sql databases and is not really unique
>> for PostgreSQL.
>
> If you create a geek mug, only geeks will buy and use it. The current
> set of merchandise (e.g., mugs, pens, stress balls) is very family
> friendly. The more gibberish you put on it, the less useful they will
> become. ("Peter, why does it say COMMIT; next to the cute elephant?" --
> "Oh, just use a different cup.")

Regards

Rob Napier