Re: Failed to restore/recreate database (one more piece of info)

From: Tena Sakai <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Failed to restore/recreate database (one more piece of info)
Date: 2009-11-17 06:57:41
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Tom,

Many thanks for your assistance.

I am on my way. Here's what I am doing:

dropdb musket
createdb musket
pg_dump canon > canon.dump
psql -d musket -f canon.dump

I am on the 4th step. But I could achieve the same with:

dropdb musket
createdb musket
pg_dump canon | psql -d musket -f -

can't I? Aside from styling, there is no functional difference
between two procedures, is there?

Thank you.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu

On 11/16/09 10:42 AM, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

Tena Sakai <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu> writes:
> Now that I am thinking, maybe the file made by pg_dumpall has
> "canon" encoded and therefore what I did logically did not copy
> any canon tables into musket? Could this be the case?

Yup, exactly. It would have created canon and restored into that.

> If so, how would I duplicate an existing database and call it
> with a different name?

Use pg_dump not pg_dumpall.