Share Data between PostgreSQL and Oracle

From: David Wagoner <dwagoner(at)arsenaldigital(dot)com>
To: "PGSQL List (E-mail)" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Share Data between PostgreSQL and Oracle
Date: 2003-10-22 14:53:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Anyone have experience doing this? I would like to hear your tips and
experiences.

Here's our situation. We have an Oracle DB on Sun Solaris 8 and a
PostgreSQL DB on Linux (RH 7.3) that we need to share data between,
specifically from PostgreSQL to Oracle. I want to experiment with Oracle's
Generic Connectivity via ODBC connection. The advantage here seems to be
DB-to-DB connection, ability to use Oracle SQL and tools, etc. Limitations
might be network performance.

An alternative is to produce flat files from PostgreSQL, FTP them to Oracle
server, and SQL*Load them into Oracle. Not a real-time solution, but load
performance is usually very good with SQL*Loader.

Best regards,

David B. Wagoner
Database Administrator
Arsenal Digital Solutions