Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date: 2009-08-20 12:40:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Greg

No. Firstly, I have been a customer of theirs, so it is not spam.

Secondly, they are a PR distribution house. They maintain a database of
contacts for journalists. This is the bread and butter of PR consultants.
The ad is simply claiming to offer more targeted mail outs to avoid being
seen as a spammer.

And at the risk of suggesting that your response confirms my point, PR is
not a simple process. It needs to be done by people who really understand
the complexities of getting quality stories placed.

On 20/8/09 8:03 PM, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 4:08 AM, Rob Napier<rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au> wrote:
>> FMTCW
>>
>> Below is an email I received a couple of days ago from one of the best-known
>> US PR distribution companies.
>
> How amusing. So they're spamming you with a pitch based on avoiding a
> spammer blacklist?
>
>> Certainly, the value would justify the investment.
>
> How does it result in Postgres being better software?

Regards

Rob Napier