Re: Vote on Windows installer links

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date: 2009-07-10 11:31:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I might agree with some of what Simon wrote if he would begin by removing
his company contact details from his posts.

"People in glass houses shouldn't ..."

Also, I need someone to help me resolve my confusion:

Since when did organisations cease to be part of the community? If so, I
better exit now. My business is, as far as I am concerned, a member of the
community. I am its representative. We try to behave responsibly by not
taking advantage through our involvement. On the contrary, we try to make
contributions within the limited resources that we have available. From what
I have seen, this is generally the case with all members organisations.

But let's not lose sight of the fact that businesses must be fed with sales.
They are not charities. If a business invests (in sponsorship or any other
activity) it is done with the profit motive as the primary driver. If they
don't, they die. If they die, it impacts on the the community as a whole.
Can the community exist without businesses participation. Probably, but at a
much lower level of success.

This is not a club. If I'd wanted to join a club, I'd have joined the bloody
Boy Scouts! Yet so much of what is written seems to focus on a 'them and us
principle'; that there is 'the community' and the 'scabs in business'. I
just can't believe that this idea is being given any credence.

The question, it seems to me, is not whether organisations are members of
the community, rather I'd ask how to ensure that ALL members of the
community (individual and organisation alike) does not receive an unfair
advantage or apply unfair influence on the goals and activities of the
community as a whole.

Now that is the question I'd like to see addressed!

Rob Napier
(company name and address omitted)
(mission statement omitted)
Personal philosophy/religion omitted
Flagrant website self-promotion omitted

P.S. Apologies if my use of sarcasm to make a point has offended anyone.