Re: random slow query

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8(at)verizon(dot)net>, pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: random slow query
Date: 2009-06-30 20:46:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 6/30/09 12:06 PM, "Jean-David Beyer" <jeandavid8(at)verizon(dot)net> wrote:

> Alan Hodgson wrote:
>> On Tuesday 30 June 2009, Mike Ivanov <mikei(at)activestate(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Hi Scott,

>>> In fact, we can, Sean posted what top -b -n 1 says. There was only one
>>> CPU line.
>>>

>> Recent versions of top on Linux (on RedHat 5 anyway) may show only one
>> combined CPU line unless you break them out with an option.
>
> I have not noticed that to be the case. I ran RHEL3 from early 2004 until a
> little after RHEL5 came out. I now run that (updated whenever updates come
> out), and I do not recall ever setting any flag to get it to split the CPU
> into 4 pieces.
>
> I know the flag is there, but I do not recall ever setting it.

Top now has storable defaults so how it behaves depends on what the user has
stored for their defaults. For example: go to interactive mode by just
typing top.
Now, hit "1". Or hit "c", or try "M". Now, toggle the '1' flag until it
shows one (and reports Cpu(s) not Cpu0, Cpu1, etc) and hit shift-w.
Now your defaults are changed and it will spit out one line for all cpus
unless you tell it not to.

The output can be highly customized and your preferences stored. Hit 'h'
for more info.

Another way to put it, is that Linux' top has mostly caught up to the
proprietary commmand line interactive tools on Solaris and AIX that used to
be light-years ahead.