Re: How to store text files in the postgresql?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)simkin(dot)ca>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to store text files in the postgresql?
Date: 2009-06-12 15:55:27
Lists: pgsql-general

> It's far easier to backup and restore a database than millions of small
> files. Small files = random disk I/O. The real downside is the CPU time
> involved in storing and retrieving the files. If it isn't a show stopper,
> then putting them in the database makes all kinds of sense.

On the contrary, I think backup is one of the primary reasons to move files
*out* of the database. Decent incremental backup software greatly reduces
the I/O & time needed for backup of files as compared to a pg dump. (Of
course this assumes the managed files are long-lived.)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com