Re: AMD Shanghai versus Intel Nehalem

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Arjen van der Meijden <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AMD Shanghai versus Intel Nehalem
Date: 2009-05-13 18:39:29
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 5/12/09 11:08 PM, "Arjen van der Meijden" <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>
wrote:

> We have a dual E5540 with 16GB (I think 1066Mhz) memory here, but no AMD
> Shanghai. We haven't done PostgreSQL benchmarks yet, but given the
> previous experiences, PostgreSQL should be equally faster compared to mysql.
>
> Our databasebenchmark is actually mostly a cpu/memory-benchmark.
> Comparing the results of the dual E5540 (2.53Ghz with HT enabled) to a
> dual Intel X5355 (2.6Ghz quad core two from 2007), the peek load has
> increased from somewhere between 7 and 10 concurrent clients to
> somewhere around 25, suggesting better scalable hardware. With the 25
> concurrent clients we handled 2.5 times the amount of queries/second
> compared to the 7 concurrent client-score for the X5355, both in MySQL
> 5.0.41. At 7 CC we still had 1.7 times the previous result.

Excellent! That is a pretty huge boost. I'm curious which aspects of this
new architecture helped the most. For Postgres, the following would seem
the most relevant:
1. Shared L3 cache per processors -- more efficient shared datastructure
access.
2. Faster atomic operations -- CompareAndSwap, etc are much faster.
3. Faster cache coherency.
4. Lower latency RAM with more overall bandwidth (Opteron style).

Can you do a quick and dirty memory bandwidth test? (assuming linux)
On the older X5355 machine and the newer E5540, try:
/sbin/hdparm -T /dev/sd<device>

Where <device> is a valid letter for a device on your system.

Here are the results for me on an older system with dual Intel E5335 (2Ghz,
4MB cache, family 6 model 15)
Best result out of 5 (its not all that consistent, + or minus 10%)
/dev/sda:
Timing cached reads: 10816 MB in 2.00 seconds = 5416.89 MB/sec

And a newer system with dual Xeon X5460 (3.16Ghz, 6MB cache, family 6 model
23)
Best of 7 results:
/dev/sdb:
Timing cached reads: 26252 MB in 1.99 seconds = 13174.42 MB/sec

Its not a very accurate measurement, but its quick and highlights relative
hardware differences very easily.

> I'm not really sure how the shanghai cpu's compare to those older
> X5355's, the AMD's should be faster, but how much?

I'm not sure either, and the Xeon platforms have evolved such that the
chipsets and RAM configurations matter as much as the processor does.