Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Matt Burke <mattblists(at)icritical(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller
Date: 2009-02-06 17:57:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

> 3. Pure s/w RAID10 if I can convince the PERC to let the OS see the disks

Look for JBOD mode.

PERC 6 does not have JBOD mode exposed. Dell disables the feature from the LSI firmware in their customization.
However, I have been told that you can convince them to tell you the 'secret handshake' or whatever that allows JBOD to be enabled. The more adventurous flash the card with the LSI firmware, though I'm sure that voids all sorts of support from DELL.