Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: suggestions for postgresql setup on Dell 2950 , PERC6i controller
Date: 2009-02-05 05:04:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

Sorry for the top post --

Assuming Linux --

1: PERC 6 is still a bit inferior to other options, but not that bad. Its random IOPS is fine, sequential speeds are noticeably less than say the latest from Adaptec or Areca.

2: Random iops will probably scale ok from 6 to 8 drives, but depending on your use case, having a single mirror for OS and xlogs can be a significant performance improvement. My base suggestion would be to go with 6 drives in raid 10, perhaps try 3 mirrors with software raid 0 on top to compare, and leave one mirror for the OS and xlogs (separate partitions, use ext2 for the xlogs and that can be a fairly small partition). There isn't any way to know which of these options will be best for you, it is very dependant on the data and applications accessing it.

3. No, its too hardware dependant to have an ideal raid block size. Its slightly usage dependant too. The default is probably going to be best based on my PERC 6 experience. You'll gain a lot more from tuning other things.

4. Can't say much about the SAN. High end ones can do good iops, the one listed looks more like archival storage to me though.

Make sure you tune the Linux block device readahead, it makes a huge difference in sequential access performance ( see blockdev -getra <device>). 1MB to 4MB per raid spindle 'width' is usually ideal. The default is 128k, the default with software raid is 4MB, often the performance difference when using software raid is largely just this setting. If you're comfortable with XFS, it works well for the postgres data files.