RE: access from java does not work in an applet!

From: Joe Shevland <J(dot)Shevland(at)eclipsegroup(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "'B(dot)N(dot)V(dot) Raman'" <raman(at)myself(dot)com>, "Pgsql-Jdbc(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: access from java does not work in an applet!
Date: 2001-05-15 07:19:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Applets sit in security 'sandbox'... you can only make connections back to
the applet's originating server from the applet, so if your Postgres
database is on the web server it'll be OK (barring firewalls etc.) but if
its on another server the applet context will complain.

Your alternatives are to digitally sign the applet and loosen the security
restrictions, provide a proxying service from your web server to the
database server (or a natd rule), and potentially some other options that my
shrivelled brain can't come up with at the moment ;)

Regards,
Joe