pg_dump custom format and pigz

From: "Marc Mamin" <M(dot)Mamin(at)intershop(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: pg_dump custom format and pigz
Date: 2009-10-23 12:48:58
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hello,

I'm using pg_dump intensively, and until now using the plaintext format
which allows me to pipe the output to pigz (http://zlib.net/pigz/)
This is the fastest way I've found to generate compressed backups.

(These backups are very rarely used)

I would like to switch to the custom format in order to take advantage
of the parallel restore enhancement, but this would force me to give
pigz up, hence loosing performances with pg_dump.

Is there a way to combine the custom format with pigz?

feature request ?

best regards,

Marc Mamin

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Tino SchwarzeDate: 2009-10-23 13:10:42