Re: new server I/O setup

From: "Fernando Hevia" <fhevia(at)ip-tel(dot)com(dot)ar>
To: "'Matthew Wakeling'" <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, "'Scott Marlowe'" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new server I/O setup
Date: 2010-01-15 17:04:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

I am new to the BBU cache benefit and I have a lot to experience and learn.
Hopefully I will have the time to tests both setups.
I was wondering if disabling the bbu cache on the RAID 1 array would make
any difference. All 256MB would be available for the random I/O on the RAID
10.

> I'd also question whether you need two hot spares, with
> RAID-10. Obviously that's a judgement call only you can make,
> but you could consider whether it is sufficient to just have
> a spare disc sitting on a shelf next to the server rather
> than using up a slot in the server. Depends on how quickly
> you can get to the server on failure, and how important the data is.

This is something I havent been able to make my mind since its very painful
to loose those 2 slots.
They could make for the dedicated pg_xlog RAID 1 Greg's suggesting.
Very tempting, but still think I will start safe for know and see what
happens later.

Thanks for your hindsight.

Regards,
Fernando.