Re: Add --check option to pgindent

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add --check option to pgindent
Date: 2023-12-12 10:18:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 12 Dec 2023, at 01:09, Tristan Partin <tristan(at)neon(dot)tech> wrote:
>
> Not sold on the name, but --check is a combination of --silent-diff and --show-diff. I envision --check mostly being used in CI environments. I recently came across a situation where this behavior would have been useful. Without --check, you're left to capture the output of --show-diff and exit 2 if the output isn't empty by yourself.

I wonder if we should model this around the semantics of git diff to keep it
similar to other CI jobs which often use git diff? git diff --check means "are
there conflicts or issues" which isn't really comparable to here, git diff
--exit-code however is pretty much exactly what this is trying to accomplish.

That would make pgindent --show-diff --exit-code exit with 1 if there were
diffs and 0 if there are no diffs.

--
Daniel Gustafsson