PostgreSQL Replication with read-only access to standby DB

From: Keaton Adams <kadams(at)mxlogic(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Replication with read-only access to standby DB
Date: 2008-03-25 20:11:16
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Our organization is looking for a hot-standby option for PostgreSQL that
uses the WAL (transaction) data to keep the standby current and also allows
the standby to be read-only accessible for reporting. We have implemented
WAL shipping through a set of scripts we developed and that works well to
have a standby DB on the ready in case we need to fail over, but we are
looking to increase the value of the standby server by making it available
for queries. Because of the complexities of our environment using a
table/trigger based replication method such as Slony won¹t work well.

It would be great if there was a solution (Open Source or Commercial) that
worked in a similar manner as Oracle Active Data Guard:

³Oracle Active Data Guard enables a physical standby database to be open for
read-only access ­ for reporting, simple or complex queries ­ while changes
from the production database are being applied to it. This means any
operation that requires up-to-date read-only access can be offloaded to the
replica, enhancing and protecting the performance of the production
database.²

³All queries reading from the physical replica execute in real-time, and
return current results. A Data Guard configuration consists of one
production (or primary) database and up to nine standby databases. A
standby database is initially created from a backup copy of the primary
database. Once created, Data Guard automatically maintains the standby
database as a synchronized copy of the primary database by transmitting
primary database redo data to the standby system and then applying the redo
data to the standby database.²

Does anyone know of such a solution for PostgreSQL?

Thanks,

Keaton