Re: postgresql is slow with larger table even it is in RAM

From: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: sathiya psql <sathiya(dot)psql(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql is slow with larger table even it is in RAM
Date: 2008-03-25 14:46:02
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello Sathiya,

1st: you should not use a ramdisk for this, it will slow things down as
compared to simply having the table on disk. Scanning it the first time
when on disk will load it into the OS IO cache, after which you will get
memory speed.

2nd: you should expect the ³SELECT COUNT(*)² to run at a maximum of about
350 ­ 600 MB/s (depending on PG version and CPU speed). It is CPU speed
limited to that rate of counting rows no matter how fast your IO is.

So, for your 700 MB table, you should expect a COUNT(*) to run in about 1-2
seconds best case. This will approximate the speed at which other queries
can run against the table.

- Luke