Re: Postgres failed to compile on debian x86

From: Seneca Cunningham <tentra(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Fremer <jfremer(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres failed to compile on debian x86
Date: 2006-09-05 04:24:56
Lists: pgsql-ports

On 04-Sep-2006, at 23:36 :12, Josh Fremer wrote:

> This is a fresh Debian stable install. I think there's a very good
> chance I'm missing some required library, since I've had to install
> everything up to this point by hand. Any suggestions are hugely
> appreciated.

If you have a deb-src entry for main in your sources.list, you can
use "apt-get build-dep" followed by a Debian postgres package name to
find what development packages Debian considers to be required. I
can't remember the full package list off hand, but expect there to be
packages like libc6-dev, libreadline5-dev, cpp, perl-dev, libssl-dev,
zlib-dev.

> The config.log is 600k so I'm not going to post the whole thing.
> There are heaps of errors in it, including lots of "syntax error
> before 'size_t'" and "WARNING: xxx.h: present but cannot be
> compiled". The error that configure quite on is "checking types of
> arguments for accept()... configure: error: could not determine
> argument types.

My guess is a missing libc6-dev.

> Here are some bits that may be relevant. If anyone can tell me
> which parts of this massive log would be more helpful, I'll be
> happy to post them. Thanks in advance:
>
> $ ./configure --with-perl --with-openssl --with-includes=/usr/
> include/linux/:/usr/include --with-libraries=/usr/lib/
>
> ## --------- ##
> ## Platform. ##
> ## --------- ##
>
> hostname = squall
> uname -m = i686
> uname -r = 2.4.27-2-386
> uname -s = Linux
> uname -v = #1 Mon May 16 16:47:51 JST 2005
>
> /usr/bin/uname -p = unknown
> /bin/uname -X = unknown
>
> /bin/arch = i686
> /usr/bin/arch -k = unknown
> /usr/convex/getsysinfo = unknown
> hostinfo = unknown
> /bin/machine = unknown
> /usr/bin/oslevel = unknown
> /bin/universe = unknown
>
> PATH: /sbin
> PATH: /bin
> PATH: /usr/sbin
> PATH: /usr/bin
> PATH: /usr/bin/X11
> PATH: /usr/local/sbin
> PATH: /usr/local/bin
>
> <snip>
>
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)
> configure:2086: $? = 0
> configure:2088: gcc -V </dev/null >&5
> gcc: `-V' option must have argument
>
> <snip>
>
> configure:2550: gcc -c -g -O2 conftest.c >&5
> conftest.c:2: error: syntax error before "me"
> configure:2556: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | #ifndef __cplusplus
> | choke me
> | #endif
> configure:2721: checking if gcc supports -Wdeclaration-after-statement
> configure:2741: gcc -c -O2 -Wall -Wmissing-prototypes -Wpointer-
> arith -Winline -Wdeclaration-after-statement -D_GNU_SOURCE
> conftest.c >&5
> cc1: error: unrecognized option `-Wdeclaration-after-statement'
> configure:2747: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h. */

All this output is normal for a configure script that didn't fail.

--
Seneca Cunningham
tentra(at)gmail(dot)com