Re: Postgres failed to compile on debian x86

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Fremer <jfremer(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres failed to compile on debian x86
Date: 2006-09-05 04:21:54
Lists: pgsql-ports

Josh Fremer <jfremer(at)earthlink(dot)net> writes:
> This is a fresh Debian stable install. I think there's a very good
> chance I'm missing some required library, since I've had to install
> everything up to this point by hand. Any suggestions are hugely
> appreciated.

You haven't provided anything real definitive, but the mention of syntax
errors makes me wonder whether your install has the expected system
header files. Do the error messages mention missing include files?
If so you probably are lacking some xxx-devel packages. (More
generally, if you want to build stuff from source code, you need to
install a whole pile of "development" support files that are not
installed by a minimal install of modern Linux distros. On Red Hat
you normally need a "foo-devel" RPM corresponding to each "foo" package
the source code you want to build depends on. I'm not a Debian person
but I believe they've got some pretty similar packaging convention.)