Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant

From: "Luke Lonergan" <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Grzegorz Jaskiewicz" <gj(at)pointblue(dot)com(dot)pl>, "PGSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Doug Rady" <drady(at)greenplum(dot)com>, "Sherry Moore" <sherry(dot)moore(at)sun(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Bug: Buffer cache is not scan resistant
Date: 2007-03-05 08:51:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Tom,

> Even granting that your conclusions are accurate, we are not
> in the business of optimizing Postgres for a single CPU architecture.

I think you're missing my/our point:

The Postgres shared buffer cache algorithm appears to have a bug. When
there is a sequential scan the blocks are filling the entire shared
buffer cache. This should be "fixed".

My proposal for a fix: ensure that when relations larger (much larger?)
than buffer cache are scanned, they are mapped to a single page in the
shared buffer cache.

- Luke