Re: Dropping postgres as a whole.

From: Christian Voelker <C(dot)Voelker(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Dropping postgres as a whole.
Date: 2007-09-28 09:21:32
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello,

Am 27.09.2007 um 21:52 schrieb Ron Mayer:

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>
>> Why don't we just stop this whole PostgreSQL->Postgres->Postgre
>> junk and
>> just say, PostgreSQL, also referred to as PG.
>
> "PS" be a better abbreviation based on the spelling "PostgreSQL".

Sorry, but PS stands for PostScript in the IT area
and for Horsepower in Germany. And there are probably
many more meanings in other languages too. You cannot
create a new two letter acronym today any more and
all the less if you want it to bused worldwide.
There are only 26 by 26 = 676 possible combinations
and most of them are certainly used up already. The
VW abbrevation is also a logo not only two letters
and are recognized as a sign. I am not sure whether
this was actually your intention, but turning from
PG to PS actually shows how unusable this direction
is. Lets stick with Postgres which everybody seems
to be fine with as a shorthand and dont stir up the
documentation with altering between both forms.

Bye, Christian