Re: JBoss-related question

From: Michael Goldner <mgoldner(at)agmednet(dot)com>
To: Guillaume Cottenceau <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch>, H=?ISO-8859-1?B?5Q==?=kan Jacobsson <hakan(dot)jacobsson(at)relevanttraffic(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: JBoss-related question
Date: 2008-01-08 13:14:45
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 1/8/08 7:49 AM, "Guillaume Cottenceau" <gc(at)mnc(dot)ch> wrote:

> Håkan Jacobsson <hakan.jacobsson 'at' relevanttraffic.com> writes:
>
>> javax.ejb.EJBException: java.lang.RuntimeException:
>> java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
>> PermGen space
>>
>> We start JBoss with -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m arguments, which , as I understand
>> it,
>> is the maximum heap size we can use
>
> that's not related to the mx. you have to increase the permanent
> generation (mnore information in java gc documentation).

Unfortunately, in my experience, increasing the PermGen space only delays
the problem. The underlying issue seems to be related to
classloading/unloading when "hot deploying" applications (tomcat, glassfish,
jetty, etc.). When a new version of the class is deployed, the old class is
unloaded, but apparently doesn't release its PermGen space.

Mike