building 8.3beta2 w/ 'make check' consumes A LOT of disk space

From: J=?ISO-8859-1?B?9g==?=rg Beyer <Beyerj(at)students(dot)uni-marburg(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: building 8.3beta2 w/ 'make check' consumes A LOT of disk space
Date: 2007-11-03 14:33:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello.

I compiled and installed PostgreSQL 8.3 beta 2 on OS X 10.4.10 these days,
and noticed a minor issue that may lead to some problems, occasionally.

I generally run make check, and that consumes some extra disk space, of
course. While versions 8.1 and 8.2 were quite happy with a total of
approximately 280-300 MB of free disk space for the build, 8.3 beta 2
consumes *up to 1.6 Gigabyte*. This may not be a problem for professional
environments, but I can imagine cases where some single user machines are
brought to their knees ;-)
(Fortunately not in my case. I'm working with a disk image to build
PostgreSQL, but nonetheless it took three trials until I made the image big
enough...)

Snip from the current INSTALL file:
... If you are going to run the regression tests you will
temporarily need up to an extra 90 MB. ...

May I suggest to correct this sentence?

Thanks for your interest.

Joerg Beyer

Jörg Beyer