shared memory settings on MAC OS X

From: Maximilian Tyrtania <mty(at)fischerappelt(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: shared memory settings on MAC OS X
Date: 2007-10-28 15:02:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi there,

I am trying to increase the amount of shared memory on my Mac OS 10.4
machine (i have 5 GB RAM installed), but without too much success.

My /etc/sysctl.conf file looks like this:

kern.sysv.shmmax=33554432
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8
kern.sysv.shmall=8192

Then I reboot and do sysctl -a | grep shm, and read:

kern.sysv.shmmax=4194304
kern.sysv.shmmin=1
kern.sysv.shmmni=32
kern.sysv.shmseg=8
kern.sysv.shmall=8192

4194304 is the default value for kern.sysv.shmmax.
It looks as if Tiger ignores my feeble attempt to set the kern.sysv.shmmax
value.

Any pointers?

BTW, as I intend to allow 240 connections I should probably raise the
settings even way beyond that, I am just still experimenting.

Best,

- Maximilian Tyrtania | mty(at)fischerappelt(dot)de
fischerAppelt Kommunikation GmbH
Tucholskystr.18 | D-10117 Berlin | Germany
Tel. ++49-30-726146-728
http://www.fischerappelt.de